INCREDIBLE EDIBLE EGG


My favorite sandwich growing up was egg salad. I still remember the first time I tasted it at Joel’s house when I was four years old.

I rediscovered hard boiled eggs shortly after being told I had Celiac. They are easy to take with me during the day. I sometimes grab travel packets of gluten free mayo, mustard, salt, and pepper and make egg salad on the road. You might not be able to confirm what is in the pre-made egg salad in a deli but you can usually find hard boiled eggs and know that they are gluten free.

Beware of how much cholesterol is in the yolk. Many people have their cholesterol increase after being diagnosed with Celiac so excess yolks could compound the problem. I limit myself to no more than one yolk a day and supplement my egg salad with egg whites.

For a sweeter treat that’s easy to make with egg whites try meringues:

Egg White Meringues Recipe
Preheat oven to 250 degrees
4 egg whites room temperature (I haven’t had much success with the pasteurized egg white products designed for “whipping”)
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup of sugar or equivalent of Splenda granular (the consistency won’t be as crispy with Splenda but they will be low-carb and more diabetes friendly)
1-2 teaspoons vanilla
Optional: any combination of cinnamon, chopped nuts, vanilla, chocolate or butterscotch chips

Beat the egg whites with the whisk of an electric beater. Continue beating and add the cream of tartar. Gradually add the sugar or splenda and vanilla. When the egg whites form shiny, stiff peaks add any of the optional items.

Drop heaping spoonfuls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place in preheated oven.

After one hour, reduce heat by 50 degrees and cook for one additional hour. Turn oven off and leave overnight or remove. (they will have a crispier consistency if you leave them overnight with the oven door closed)

No comments: