Chocolate Fondue - Dip Away!

A luscious, rich chocolate fondue is a sure crowd pleaser. Dipping various treats into warm chocolaty goodness is the perfect luxury on a cold winter evening.

When planning a menu for a small Valentine’s gathering, I was told emphatically that it just wouldn’t be complete without chocolate. As I’ve said before, I don’t like chocolate so it hadn’t even occurred to me. Well, I knew I was up for the challenge. Figuring out the best recipe for something that you don’t like to eat is possible with research and focus on the best possible ingredients.

I started my search online, reading every chocolate fondue recipe I could find. Some used corn syrup, others butter. A few included caramel or peanut butter. I knew I wanted something with clean flavors so that the chocolate could be the star. The fun and variety would come with the treats dipped in the chocolate.

After all of that research, I decided to see if the Guittard web site had any recipes. They make the most incredible Vanilla and Butterscotch chips (highlighted in this recipe) and I knew that their chocolate had a reputation for being one of the best. (I also had confirmation from a representative at Guittard that all of their products are gluten free.)

Sure enough they had a simple formula for creating an exquisite fondue. Everyone who indulged gave it rave reviews.

Chocolate Fondue (adapted from Guittard Chocolate Company)

12 ounces E. Guittard 72% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate, chopped
12 ounces E. Guittard 38% Cacao Milk Chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
½ cup whole milk

Gently melt all ingredients in a double boiler set over simmering (not boiling) water using low heat. To serve, transfer the fondue to a warmed ceramic dish or fondue pot. Note that the fondue will thicken as it cools.

I didn’t have a double boiler, so I set up a large pyrex bowl over a saucepot with simmering water. If you are using a fondue pot with a sterno flame, be sure that you can control the heat. Too hot and your chocolate will burn.

This recipe will easily serve 15-20 people. As far as what to dip? You are limited only by your own creativity. I selected gluten free macaroons, animal crackers, marshmallows, strawberries, pineapples and bananas.

5 comments:

Allergic Girl® said...

have you read about a new chocolate company called VERE, they do GF chocolates, high end. they look quite good. maybe for your next party. ;-)

Molly said...

I'm definitely having fantasies about your fondue. It fulfills every chocolate lovers Valentine's dreams. :)

Mike Eberhart said...

Chocolate! That's all you had to say. I personally consider it a food-group of its own :)

Catherine said...

I love to entertain, so I will have to give VERE a try next time. Thanks for the tip.

Sheri said...

Mmmm....chocolate....