Kale - recipes with winter produce


Chilean Sea Bass with Kale, Mushrooms and Butter beans, originally uploaded by A Gluten-Free Guide.

Kale is a nutritional powerhouse, but on it’s own, it’s flavor isn’t particularly pleasing to most. I set out to find a way to make a delicious dish featuring kale to take advantage of the natural source of vitamin C, A, Folic Acid, Calcium and Iron. I played with recipes for a couple weeks before settling on this version as my favorite. Use it as a side, or for some extra decadence, as a base for a piece of pan seared Chilean Sea Bass coated with forbidden black rice flour.

Tip: older kale is tougher and stronger in flavor - avoid this by choosing smaller bunches.

Balsamic Kale and Mushrooms Recipe

1 medium red onion, diced
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
1/4-1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
2 Tablespoons of aged balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 pound kale, washed, large stems removed, cut into 2-3” pieces
3/4 cup butter beans, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions; sauté until they start to soften, about 5-10 minutes. Add mushrooms and balsamic vinegar; stir 3-5 minutes. Add thyme and stir. Add kale pieces and cook until tender. Add butter beans until just warmed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Delicious and healthy, this recipe was another big hit during my visit home over the holidays.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

finally a new post! I log on just to see all your wonderful pictures. makes me hungry...YUMMY!

ByTheBay said...

Oh, that photo! So delicious. I love kale, it is my favorite veggie.

Cassandra said...

Oh, you're making me hungry.
Dr. Cathy Breedon (a nutritionist/dietitian) has told us that she dries kale in a dehydrator, turns it into a powder in a food processor, then sticks it in anything with a strong flavor: meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, even brownies(!) because it's such a nutritional powerhouse.

giz said...

what a great way to prepare this power food. I always just bypass kale in the supermarket because I just don't "get" what to do with it. I'll try this one.