Healthy Fig and Avocado Salsa Recipe


Fig Avocado Salsa, originally uploaded by A Gluten-Free Guide.

It seems that everywhere I turn this week I am bombarded with Superbowl hype. Whether it’s about the teams dealing with illness and injury, the weather in Arizona, the commercials set to make a splashy debut, I just can’t seem to escape it. While football is not my favorite way to pass an afternoon or evening (much to my friend Strutter’s chagrin), I do love throwing a party. So it is with great relish that I read all of the Superbowl party menus with creative and classic savory snacks. Many of the menus have a version of homemade guacamole or salsa, so I thought it would be a good time to share one of my favorite recipes for a healthy fig and avocado salsa. This sweet and savory salsa combines a hint of spice with creamy fresh avocados to delightful effect.

This is a large recipe, great for a party. Just half the portions for a smaller group.

Healthy Fig and Avocado Salsa Recipe

1 cup diced dried figs or 3 cups diced fresh figs
juice of one lime
3 medium firm ripe California avocados, diced
3 fresh jalapenos, small diced, seeds and ribs removed
2-3 medium, vine-ripened tomatoes, diced, seeds removed
4 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 small cloves of garlic, minced

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir gently. Refrigerate several hours to let flavors blend. Serve with gluten-free corn tortilla chips.

(It’s great right away if you are like me and aren’t patient enough to wait for it to come out of the fridge.)



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks SO good. Skip the Super Bowl. Can I just come over for some of this?

Sheltie Girl said...

Catherine - This is a wonderful salsa. I love avocados. Thanks for sharing!

Sheltie Girl @ Gluten A Go Go

Catherine said...

It's such a fun combination of sweet and savory - I hope you like it as much as I do! (and yes Shauna, let's skip the Super Bowl - won't take much arm-twisting for me)

lnielsen said...

Thanks for sharing! I love avocados! My question is, will avocado taste be ruined by using green tea powder? I was going to use this with it: green tea