Healthy Fig and Avocado Salsa Recipe

Fig Avocado Salsa, originally uploaded by A Gluten-Free Guide.

It seems that everywhere I turn this week I am bombarded with Superbowl hype. Whether it’s about the teams dealing with illness and injury, the weather in Arizona, the commercials set to make a splashy debut, I just can’t seem to escape it. While football is not my favorite way to pass an afternoon or evening (much to my friend Strutter’s chagrin), I do love throwing a party. So it is with great relish that I read all of the Superbowl party menus with creative and classic savory snacks. Many of the menus have a version of homemade guacamole or salsa, so I thought it would be a good time to share one of my favorite recipes for a healthy fig and avocado salsa. This sweet and savory salsa combines a hint of spice with creamy fresh avocados to delightful effect.

This is a large recipe, great for a party. Just half the portions for a smaller group.

Healthy Fig and Avocado Salsa Recipe

1 cup diced dried figs or 3 cups diced fresh figs
juice of one lime
3 medium firm ripe California avocados, diced
3 fresh jalapenos, small diced, seeds and ribs removed
2-3 medium, vine-ripened tomatoes, diced, seeds removed
4 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 small cloves of garlic, minced

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir gently. Refrigerate several hours to let flavors blend. Serve with gluten-free corn tortilla chips.

(It’s great right away if you are like me and aren’t patient enough to wait for it to come out of the fridge.)


shauna said...

This looks SO good. Skip the Super Bowl. Can I just come over for some of this?

Sheltie Girl said...

Catherine - This is a wonderful salsa. I love avocados. Thanks for sharing!

Sheltie Girl @ Gluten A Go Go

Catherine said...

It's such a fun combination of sweet and savory - I hope you like it as much as I do! (and yes Shauna, let's skip the Super Bowl - won't take much arm-twisting for me)

lnielsen said...

Thanks for sharing! I love avocados! My question is, will avocado taste be ruined by using green tea powder? I was going to use this with it: green tea