Gluten-Free Cheesecake - better than the original!

While I posted about this gluten-free cheesecake last year when I made it for Thanksgiving, I made it again for the holidays this week. My brother (who does not bestow praise often) declared it the best cheesecake he has ever tasted. It's a great example of simple ingredients bringing out spectacular results. I hope you are enjoying some time with family, friends and perhaps some deliciously simple food.

I live in New York City, a place known for its cheesecake. Before I had Celiac disease, a trip to Carnegie Deli for cheesecake was taken with each new visitor I helped to explore Manhattan. Carnegie Deli cheesecake is delicious, but I was never a fan of the crust. To me a cheesecake needed a graham cracker crust pure and simple.

One of the first gluten free treats I set out to conquer was crust. Pie crust and cheesecake crust – I needed to be a part of the holiday tradition. Well, much to my surprise, I was able to make a crust that is even more delicious with cheesecake than the graham cracker crust for which I had longed. Who knew that eating gluten free would keep delivering these small gifts at my door?

I served this cheesecake for dessert at Thanksgiving this year. I just wish it had fewer calories so I could indulge on a more regular basis!


Gluten Free Cheesecake with Nut Crust Supreme (Cheesecake recipe is from my Aunt Barbara, the crust is adapted from Bette Hagman’s “The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Dessert”)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Gluten Free Nut Crust Supreme
2 cups Pamela’s Gluten Free Baking Mix
½ cup dark brown sugar
2/3 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup finely chopped pecans

Spray cheesecake pan lightly with vegetable oil spray. In a medium bowl stir together the flour mix and brown sugar. Cut in the butter until fine crumbs form. Stir in the nuts and pat into your pan. The crust will be “crumbly” but will hold together once pressed into the pan. This will be more than enough for one large cheesecake and perhaps for a second smaller pie. Though it tastes so good on it’s own you may just end up eating it!

Barbara’s Classic Gluten Free Cheesecake
4 – 8 oz bars of gluten free cream cheese, softened
1 cup of granulated sugar
2 eggs
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla

Mix all of the ingredients with a beater until smooth and pour into the unbaked crust. Place in preheated oven for 30 minutes.

While that is baking, prepare the topping.

2 cups gluten free sour cream
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon of gluten free almond extract
Juice from ½ a lemon

Mix the topping ingredients in a bowl. After the first 30 minutes of baking, remove the cheesecake and spoon the topping onto the cheesecake. Be careful not to overfill the pan. Return the cheesecake to the oven and bake for an additional 10-20 minutes. You may want to place a piece of foil under the cheesecake just to catch any drippings. Cooking times can vary dramatically depending upon the amount of topping you choose to use. Watch to see when it starts to solidify but don’t let it stay in so long that the crust begins to burn.

This recipe is easy to make but incredibly scrumptious, I promise.




11 comments:

Lynn Barry said...

Catherine,
I am glad you found this recipe and can enjoy a luscious dessert again. You should check out Mike Eberhart's Gluten free Gourmet Cookbook. I bought one recently, and it is a fantastic must-have for gluten intolerant folks who still want to make and enjoy fine desserts.

Catherine said...

I will add it to my amazon wish list. I love new cookbooks.

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

You did a fabulous job on the cheesecake. It looks so delicious. Cheesecake is my husband's most favorite dessert in all the world...which I'm sorry to say I haven't made since I've been gluten free. I'll give your recipe a try.

Happy Holidays!

Sheltie Girl @ Gluten A Go Go

Anonymous said...

Cheesecake is a holiday tradition in my family and I will add this recipe of yours to my growing list of cheesecake variations. It looks wonderful and your photos are great. Thank you.

I use GF graham crackers, Pamela's GF pecan shortbread cookies, or homemade granola for different crust mixtures. No-crust cheesecakes are also easy to make.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I love cheesecake !!!

Dianne said...

I cant remember the last time I ate cheesecake because of the crumb base, but that one looks heavenly!

:)

Sea said...

Ooh, this is extra exciting because I have lots of bags of Pamela's baking mix in my pantry that are rapidly approaching their expiration date- one can only make so many pancakes and waffles and cheesecake sounds WAY YUMMIER! I haven't had cheesecake in forever... I think it's time...

-Sea
www.bookofyum.com

Catherine said...

I think I could live on Cheesecake - but alas then none of my clothes would fit anymore!

Cara A. Valente-Compton said...

Hey I made this yesterday for my friend so he could help celebrate my daughter's birthday, and it was INCREDIBLE. Several people said it was the best they ever had. EVER!

I did make one subsitution, and that was on the topping, I didn't make the one you recommended, this is so incredibly simple and so delicious you won't believe it. I topped it after it baked with Greek Gods Honey Yogurt. Look for it in your local natural foods stores or like here in the southwest we have Sunflower Markets. It is so incredible. So incredible. MMMMMMMM way to go for this awesome recipe and I will check out more of them for my pal...

Anonymous said...

nice! i never used flour in the cheesecake batter itself, but it was nice to see that type of crust would work out. i'd made one that had some pecans in the crust before, but always used some graham crumbs too. i made one today with finely chopped almonds, brown sugar, butter, and a little gluten free flour and it turned out wonderfully!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! This is absolutely DELICIOUS! No one would ever know it was GF :) I made this for my first GF Thankgiving (which is today)and we couldn't wait to try it, so we ate it for breakfast! YUMMY! Thank you!!!