Easy Chicken with Grapes and Crispy Bacon Recipe

After all of my incredible gluten-free dining experiences in Italy this October, I attempted to recreate one particularly memorable dish upon my return home. Katie and I enjoyed all of the dishes we ordered in Lucca, but the roasted guinea fowl with grapes and crisped prosciutto left us both craving more.

My version is not identical but it gets close. The flavors are rich and warm – perfect for a fall or winter evening. It's easy to prepare, and while recipes like my Three Bean Turkey Chili will serve a large group, I like this recipe because it’s just right for two people.



Chicken with Grapes and Crispy Bacon Recipe
Serves 2

Ingredients
4 slices of bacon
1 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 whole chicken breast with skin bone-in, halved
1 shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons gluten-free flour (I used sorghum flour)
1/3 cup riesling wine
1/2 cup gluten-free chicken broth
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup green seedless grapes, halved lengthwise

In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp, remove from pan, set aside and break into pieces. Heat the butter and oil over moderately high heat in the skillet with the bacon fat until the foam subsides. In the fat, brown the chicken on all sides for about 8 minutes, or until it's golden brown. Transfer it with tongs to a plate. Reduce the heat to moderately low and in the fat remaining in the skillet, cook the shallot and garlic for about 3 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook the roux, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add the Riesling and cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the broth, lemon juice, thyme, and salt/pepper to taste and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring.

Return the chicken to the skillet with any juices from the plate and simmer the mixture, covered, for 15 minutes. Add the grapes and the bacon and simmer the mixture, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.

3 comments:

Dianne said...

This looks and sounds truly delicious! Its amazing the food ideas we get while on holiday! Some of inspiration certainly comes from trips abroad!

:)

Anonymous said...

This looks so yummy! I'm going to try this recipe for my dinner party this weekend. Thank you!! - Your loyal fan

Catherine said...

Dianne, I can't wait for my next trip so that I can find even more inspiration.

Loyal fan - please report back how it turns out!