Festive Frittata!


I had my first frittata when I was in Sicily, after graduating from college. The family I was staying with made a delicious version with ham and parmesan cheese as a main course for dinner.

I didn’t make my own version until this year. I started experimenting with frittatas as a brunch dish after a Saturday workout. With the eggs as the basis you can create any version just by playing with the other ingredients. You can serve it with your favorite salsa or gluten free toast. Let your imagination (or your leftovers) inspire you!

Festive Gluten Free Frittata
Serves 4

8 eggs beaten lightly or 2 cups egg whites/egg substitute
2 roasted red peppers, broken into pieces
3/4 cup cauliflower, broken into small florets
3/4 cup broccoli, broken into small florets
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
½ shredded cheddar and mozzarella

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Lightly spray oil in a large frying pan with an oven-safe handle. Par-cook the vegetables by sautéing them for 2-3 minutes on med-high heat. Add the eggs or egg substitute to the pan and reduce heat to low. Stir and add the salt and freshly ground pepper. Keep cooking until the eggs are set but the bottom and edges are not too brown.

Bake for 10 minutes. Remove, sprinkle with cheese and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes.

Remove from the oven, let sit for 2 minutes, cut and serve.

Be sure that the handle of the pan you use is oven safe. The other thing to be careful of is to always use a hot pad to hold the handle after pulling the pan out of the oven. (It sounds like a hard mistake to make, but after it’s been sitting on the stove you tend to forget how hot the handle still is.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made my first frittata when I tried the South Beach diet 6 months ago. Yours looks so much more colorful.