Tofu as a Gluten Free Canvas

My first experience with tofu was not a pleasant one. I found the taste bland and the texture uninviting. Fortunately, I gave tofu a second chance during college and discovered a crispy baked tofu at Whole Foods that stood up to any meat dish. Because I’m not vegetarian, I only eat tofu when the sauce and preparation warrant attention. The beauty of tofu is it's ability to truly absorb the flavors of whatever sauce you choose.

Recently it seemed I couldn’t escape discussions of tofu recipes and dishes. The final straw was watching an episode of Iron Chef with tofu as focus. I NEEDED to cook some tofu of my own.


I took a recipe that my friend Sean had recommended and adapted it to my own tastes. The final result pays homage to the original with the soy sauce and cilantro, but it’s a new creation. If you were turned-off by your first experience with tofu, you may want to give it a second look.

Oven-roasted Tofu with Gluten-Free Asian Ginger Marinade

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit

1 14 oz package firm or extra-firm tofu, cut into one-inch cubes
6 tablespoons gluten-free low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
4 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
4 teaspoons creamed honey
2 garlic cloves sliced
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Set aside the cubed tofu pieces and combine the remaining ingredients in a non-reactive bowl. Pour the sauce over the tofu and let marinate for 15-20 minutes. Spread the tofu cubes and sauce flat in a casserole dish or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 400 degrees, stirring 2-3 times to get an even crisp on all sides.

I enjoyed this with some sautéed Broccoli Rabe and a mushroom quinoa, but the possibilities are endless. Please share any tofu tips you have with the rest of us.

3 comments:

greenfrog said...

Yay tofu!

Can't wait to try your version. Maybe tonight, with snowpeas.

Karen said...

Ooo, maybe I will be brave and try tofu this way- I had a bad first experience as well. You have given me hope!

I am a gluten free blogger as well, and I have enjoyed your site this far. Good job!

Karen
http://glutenfreefoodreviews.com

Catherine said...

greenfrog, you were the inspiration, let me know what you think.

Karen, it's all about the preparation with tofu. Hopefully you will have better luck the second time around. I will check out your blog, thanks for the link.